Last updated: 8 August 2019
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- What services do we use?
- How do we retain your data?
- How will we use your data?
- How long do we store your data?
- Where do we send your data?
- Embedded content from other websites
- Your legal rights
- Limitations on your usage
- Links to other sites
What data do we collect?
When using our Website, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email addresses
- Blog comments
- Cookies and usage data
When do we collect data?
We collect and process data when you:
- Sign up for the Steve Shahbazian email newsletter
- Comment on blog posts
- Use or view the website via your browser’s cookies
What services do we use?
How is your data stored?
If you subscribe to our newsletter, your email address will be kept private and saved on MailerLite’s secure servers.
How do we use your data?
We will only email you to send you news about Steve Shahbazian’s writing and/or to inform you of any special offers that might be of interest to you. Your email address will never be shared.
How long will we retain your data?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for. You can unsubscribe from our newsletter by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided at the end of each newsletter.
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
Where do we send your data?
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
An anonymized string created from your email address (also called a hash) may be provided to the Gravatar service to see if you are using it. After approval of your comment, your profile picture is visible to the public in the context of your comment.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Your legal rights
Our website would like to make sure you are fully aware of all your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – you have the right to request the Service for copies of your personal data. We may charge you a small fee for this service.
- The right to rectification – you have the right to request the Service to correct any of your personal information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request the Service complete any of your personal information you believe is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – you have the right to request the Service erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to restrict processing – you have the right to request the Service restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to object to processing – you have the right to object to the Service’s processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
- The right to data portability – you have the right to request the Service transfer your personal data that we have collected to another organisation or directly to you, under certain conditions.
You can find out more about these rights from the ICO’s guide to GDPR, available at:
If you have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Links to other sites